Monday, June 9, 2014

Doily Curtains

Since we will be moving this week my hands have been itching to make things for our new apartment :)
It's freshly painted in perfectly livable (but unexciting) neutral colours, which means that painting would be a waste of time and money at this point. Especially when I can add some personality the diy/cheap way.


I've seen different versions of these floating around pintrest, this being my favorite. So off to the thrift store I go only to discover that their doilies are 1$ a piece. Not ridiculous unless you want a stack of them. Thankfully we had an epic garage sale-ing trip the next day where a nice lady gave me a bag stuffed with 23 of them for 4$. Because really, 23$ curtains were not happening. Especially considering that the windows already have brand new blinds on them and these are just for decoration.


So these are obviously not rocket science; acquire doilies, lay them flat and arrange them until you're happy, pin with safety pins, then sew. 


They do make me happy though. I can't help but wonder how many of them were handmade? I have a few vintage lace books and some of them have patterns for entire tablecloths worth of dainty lace. I have serious respect for people who can do things like that. I'm more a quick and easy project type of girl. My head is full of too many ideas and if I don't finish something soon I run out of steam and drop it for the next project. (My UFO basket is starting to overflow again, if you're wondering where that train of thought came from!)

No comments:

Post a Comment