Friday, May 2, 2014

CPK Doll Clothes Tutorial

A crochet doll's wardrobe!



Or half of one, according to Sophie.I handed her Coco's outfits and was immediately told that she also needed undies, socks and pants so there may be a follow up post in the future. I chose to crochet these for a few reasons. Speed was definitely a factor since I needed three sets, plus everything else I was sending for the baby shower. The other reasons were durability and stretch. A lot of doll clothes can actually be pretty tough for little ones use, so I wanted something forgiving. 


It's the same pattern I made the newborn dresses from, I just left out one row for the torso and shortened it to reach the doll's knees.


Since the rompers are a variation on someone else's pattern I don't really feel comfortable posting what I did. However if you were to start that dress pattern and then look at my shorts instructions you could probably figure something out. ;)

For the next three patterns I used the same size hook and three different weights of yarn since I didn't have much of a selection. (Figures I decide to start an enormous yarn-consuming project while my stash is in storage!) With a bit of experimenting you could probably use the same sized yarn and different hooks, or change the sizing for a different doll. You might want to lengthen the tank top if you do though, Cabbage Patch Kids are incredibly short waist-ed!

Why is the skirt upside down?  I don't know but if you figure it out I'm all ears!
The Skirt Pattern
Using worsted weight yarn and a 5.5 mm/size 9 hook

ch 27
r1: sc in second chain from hook, sc around. Join.
r2: sc around.
r3: v-stitch in every second ch.
r4: v-st in every v-st around.
r5: *v-st in first v-st, shell st in second v-st* repeat around.
r6:v-st in the v-st's, shell st in the shell st's around.
r7: 1 shell st in each v-st and each shell st around.
r8: shell st in each shell st around.
Slip st loose shell end and join. Weave in ends.





The Tank Tops
Using Baby or Sport Yarn and a 5.5 mm/size 9 hook

ch 27
r1: sc in second ch frim hook. Sc to end of row. Join to work in the round.
r2-r6: sc in each sc around, slip stitching between rows.
r7: ch 3. 1 dc in each of the first 15 sc's. Turn.
r8-r9: ch 3, dc across.
r10: ch 1, sc in each of the first 3 dc's. Turn.
r11-r15: ch1, 3 sc across. Turn. Bind off last row.
r16-r21: repeat on other side for second strap.
r22-r24: make back panel the same a front panel (repeating rows 7-9) leaving 2 st between the sides of the panels. Bind off.
Sew strap ends to top of back panel. Weave in ends.


The Shorts
Using Sport Weight Yarn and a 5.5 mm/size 9 hook

ch 27
 r1: 1 sc in second ch from hook, sc around. Join.
r2-r8: sc around
r9: sc in first 14 sc. Join 14th sc to 1st sc (first leg)
r10-r11: 1 sc in each of the 14 sc's. Bind off.
r12-r14: Join yarn on other side and repeat rows 9-11 to make second leg. Bind off. 
Weave in ends.



No comments:

Post a Comment