Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Birthday Pants

So the littlest munchkin had his first birthday recently :)
It was right in the middle of our catastrophe of a move so we kept the celebration pretty simple. Baked some cupcakes, put up a bunting (that I made my party guests make, good thing only family came lol) and made the birthday boy some pants. Mostly in time.


Mostly in time because, while my accommodating guests were making the bunting, I was still sewing the leg seams and waistband to get it to the point where we could just roll up the unfinished hem and put them on him as is. This is what I get for starting a project with a lot of pieces the night before. I really wanted to make him something special though because a first birthday is a big deal and his was kind of getting lost in the fray. And so a pair of Treasure Pocket Pants were in order. The pattern is from the book Sewing for Boys, you can take a look at it here:  http://www.amazon.ca/Sewing-Boys-Projects-Handmade-Wardrobe/dp/0470949554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392822927&sr=8-1&keywords=sewing+for+boys


Here's a closer look at the pockets and waistband. My pockets ruffle out more than they should. I had to improvise with the wrong size bias tape, part of the whole starting the project the night before thing. I'll start by saying that I love these pants and will definitely be making them again at some point. Giant pockets for the kids and a way to add cute fabric for me equals a win all around! They do seem to run a bit big, but that wasn't a surprise since the size range is pretty wide. (I made an 18m and the next size is a 2/3.)



 I do have to admit that I had a hard time understanding some of the directions. The instructions are mostly text with only a few pictures, so it you visualize something wrong the next steps make no sense. Most of what I've sewn has been from online tutorials or downloadable patterns which are usually very visual, so I was having a hard time picturing what they wanted me to do. It was pretty frustrating at times but worth working through since this is the only decent pattern book for boys I've seen so far. (If you know of any more, please leave a note in the comments. You'll be my new favorite person. Seriously. lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment