Friday, February 22, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Today has been full of activities so far. We started our day early with breakfast and clean up, then moved into the living room. I haven't used my felt board lately, because DJ was to young to use it before. It's been sitting on top of one of the toy shelves, looking ever so lonely. I decided it was time to give it a try.

I pulled out my first attempt at a felt story board, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. You're most likely familiar with one of his books. The illustrations in them are beautiful and very eye appealing. So far, we only own this book by him, but I'll likely pick up more in the future. Both kids sat on the couch and played/placed the pieces are I read the book. It went much smoother than I anticipated. Typically DJ won't sit still for a book, so this was a fun interactive way to do story time and have both kids involved.

 
Yes, they're still in jammies, and yes, DJ is half naked.

 


 

 


After we put away the felt board, Friends came over for a play date. We decided to try the DIY moon sand ( 8 cups flour + 1 cup baby oil). We tripled the batch and placed it in one of those under the bed storage totes. It was large enough for three kids and two adults to play around. It was a messy activity, but the clean up was easy and bath time was fun. The kids played with it for a good 45 minutes or so. Talk about a successful activity.

I think my next felt board will be Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Or I may make it larger and stick it on my wall. We will see :)  Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment